Department Manager: Toys | Takealot
takealot.com, a leading South African online retailer, is looking for a highly talented Department Manager (Toys) to join our team in Cape Town.
We’re a young, dynamic, hyper-growth company looking for smart, creative, hard-working people with integrity to join us. We offer a market-related, Total Remuneration Package which allows full flexibility according to your needs, a great work environment, and a promise that you won’t be bored as long as you are prepared for a challenge and want to build something great!
The position reports to the Division Manager.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Develop a comprehensive strategy/plan to drive growth across the department in sales, brands, suppliers, and new product listings
- Plan to develop and drive growth across the department in sales, brands, suppliers, and new product listings
- Drive innovation by sourcing and prioritizing new brands and suppliers according to this growth plan and in line with market trends and consumer demand
- Deliver against key financial and service level performance indicators within the department (sales, margin, listings availability, stock cover, etc.)
- Manage and develop supplier relationships, negotiate good prices, improve trading terms and manage suppliers according to strict SLAs
- Develop a promotional program, source great deals, and manage site merchandising for the department
- Support the operations team in delivering a world-class customer experience – monitor department returns, support the customer service team on product queries, and resolving any customer complaints
- Manage stock and availability (including replenishment orders, stock cover)
- Deliver on the customer experience within the department (ensuring products are delivered on time, supplier terms are aligned, product quality is managed, etc.)
- Solutions-oriented, can-do attitude; self-motivated
- Strong analytical and critical thinking, ability to use data to inform decisions, identify the root cause and resolve problem
- Strong product and buying planning skills
- Ability to manage priorities according to clear prioritization and structured planning
- Ability to build lasting supplier relationships and manage according to SLAs (existing industry networks a plus)
- Comfortable with change and excellent team player
- Passionate about the industry and the potential of e-commerce
- Understanding of the key business drivers within the online retail
- Entrepreneurial/commercial mindset
Qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree (Business Science or Commerce degree preferable)
- 5 years related retail / commerce / e-commerce experience
- Strong commercial acumen
- Existing industry networks are a significant plus
- Proven track record of negotiation skills and strong relationship management
- takealot.com employees are entrepreneurial and dynamic, smart, customer-centric, fun, and have the shared ambition of takealot.com being the leading e-commerce company in Africa.
- We have fun, work hard, take ownership, work in teams to create solutions, and are always open to direct feedback/new ideas on where we can improve.
- We are short on ego and high on output.
- We are doers and not only thinkers, it’s all in the execution after all.
- We love what we do and what we are creating.
We seek to Employ an Extra Ordinary Mind who:
- is forthright but respectful
- is an expert at doing, who can not only design but also execute
- is analytical, able to use data to make decisions
- is competitive, self-directed, and strive to be the BEST (GREAT requires a lot of work and does not only happen during business hours
- is passionate about the potential of e-commerce and delivering a world-class customer experience
- is entrepreneurial, thrives under change and accepts it is a constant, and always looks for solutions to do something better and faster
- is able to think about problems from a business perspective using technical and product input
- is curious and challenge the status quo
- is innovative and enjoys iteration
- is collaborative
- will be at the cutting edge of developing new concepts for takealot.com.
- thinks like an owner of the business.
- is SMART, has INTEGRITY, and is HARDWORKING
If you meet the above you are an Extraordinary Mind so come and join us!
Takealot is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference