Design Engineer / Draughtsman
ENGINEERING & TECHNICAL
A Company in Brackenfell that specializes in retail shopfitting solutions, is seeking to employ a Design Engineer / Draughtsman. The ideal candidate will have 3 – 5 years of experience and a relevant Degree or Diploma will be advantageous.
Location: Western Cape, Brackenfell
- Responsibilities include gathering drawings and specifications, calculating material and setting up production methods.
- Preparing, reviewing and redrafting alongside project teams.
- Create detailed designs with computer-aided design software.
- Assist with Production Planning
- Responsible for the programming of Machines to bend metal structural shapes, such as bars, rods, angles, pipes, and tubes, to angle or contour specified work orders, drawings, templates, or layouts
- Ensure regular housekeeping activities are executed and the execution of Standard Operating Procedures.
- Ensure efficient loading and unloading of sheet metal parts into and from Bending Machine.
Description of duties:
- Technical design and drawing of all new and/or existing drawings as required in all departments.
- Improve, and develop the design of existing processes, production units, machine parts, techniques, and/or relevant components of plant machines.
- Conduct simulation process tests in order to determine and/or verify the prototype of the model.
- Design new products by means of Solid works modeling, Calculations, and technical application of machines.
- Performing calculations for materials and weight limitations.
- Assist and support the maintenance team with the modification and correct application of mechanical changes to existing machinery.
- Management of metal manufacturing area, including programming of laser and bending machines
- Ensure that production happens timeously and effectively in line with production deadlines
- The accurate record-keeping, issuing, and general control of all drawings at all times.
- Submit final design to CEO and Production Manager for approval.
- Research of current/existing processes, machine parts, machine components, and/or techniques.
- Provide sound advice and support to R&D, Plant, and Project engineers at all times.
- Design diagrams and layouts to illustrate a workflow.
- Liaising with clients, Project managers, and workshop staff.
- Identifying and Communicating potential design problems.
Overall quality control and output:
- Check products for correct shapes, dimensions, and other specifications.
- Ensure final designs comply with the regulations and quality standards.
- Observe and follow company safety rules and regulations.
- Work with others to ensure that equipment is in proper working order.
- Responsible for the completion of production documentation.
- Must be able to analyze situations and find solutions.
Education & Experience:
- Matric / Grade 12
- BTech or BEng Degree in Mechanical Engineering from a reputable University (negotiable)
- Draughting Qualification
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ similar experience as a Design Engineer / Draughtsman
- Valid driver’s license with own transport.
- Solid works and CAD experience.
Must have exposure to the following:
- Sheet Metal Manufacturing including laser cutting, bending, and welding
- Process Design
- Been involved in the test phase.
- Been involved in the manufacturing phase.
- Staff and production management
- Furniture design and joinery
- Attention to detail.
- Good interpersonal communication skills both verbally and written.
- Problem-solving skills.
- Dedicated and reliable.
- Possess the ability to adjust and to learn new skills.
- Always willing to learn.
- Flexible with the ability to manage stress and work under pressure
- Able to ensure a tidy work environment.
- Able to use measuring equipment.
- Able to read engineering drawings to ensure parts are bent to specified engineering requirements