HEAD OF DEPARTMENT – LOCAL GOVERNMENT – REF NO. HOD 2016-02
Tracking Number: HOD 2016-02
Closing Date: 2016/05/20
Job Title: Head of Department – Local Government – Ref no. HOD 2016-02
Department: Local Government
Salary level: 15
Reporting To: Mr. A. Bredell
Job Type: Permanent
Location: Cape Town, Western Cape
The Department of Local Government is seeking the services of a senior manager to coordinate and overall manage the responsibilities of the Department and to give strategic leadership with regard to line and staff functions. The person appointed should have strategic management skills at senior management level. This position is based in Cape Town.
- A relevant post graduate qualification;
- A minimum of 8 years’ relevant experience at senior managerial level;
- A valid code B driver’s licence.
Key Performance Areas:
- Provide strategic direction to obtain strategic objectives;
- Ensure that the work of the Department is aligned to National and Provincial Government priorities and strategies;
- Responsible for strategic and Business Plans for the department;
- Ensure that policies and policy and systems are in place;
- Integrate processes, policies and structures across the organisation to achieve improved efficiency and effectiveness in the delivery of service;
- Ensure effective interface with relevant stakeholders and/or consult on service delivery requirements;
- Promote the creation and development of appropriate information and knowledgeable systems met by relevant information and communication technology needs of the department;
- Play an active role in (inter)national workshops and seminars;
- Give effect to the transformation of service delivery, internally and/or externally;
- Ensure excellent internal and external communication;
- Ensure an effective oversight and management for all financial resources/aspects of the Department and all performance requirements as related to the PFMA and corporate governance;
- Management of the Human Resources of the Department to achieve the pre-determined performance indicators and service delivery imperatives.
Competencies Knowledge of:
- Municipal Governance;
- Municipal Infrastructure;
- Monitoring of the Functions of Municipal Councils;
- Monitoring of Performance and Compliance of Municipalities;
- Monitoring of Community Access to Municipal Services and Community Participation;
- Developmental Local government;
- Public administration and management in South Africa;
- Extensive knowledge of applicable policies and procedures on National & Provincial level;
- Contents of various PSCBC and WCPBC agreements;
- Financial and administrative management, as well as Human Resource management and Labour Relations, and Strategic Asset Management and Procurement;
- Excellent communication skills(written and verbal);
- Demonstrable leadership and strategic planning skills;
- Ability to build and lead dynamic, professional project management teams;
- Ability to engage effectively at senior executive levels.
All –inclusive salary package of R 1 267 806 – R 1 428 186 per annum (Salary level 15). Note: the remuneration package consists of a basic salary (70%) and the employer’s contribution to the Pension Fund. The remainder of the package may be structured according to your personal needs.
Note: All shortlisted candidates will be subjected to a technical exercise that intends to test relevant technical elements of the job, the logistics of which will be communicated by the Department. Following the interview and technical exercise, the selection panel will recommend candidates to attend a generic managerial competency assessment (in compliance with the DPSA directive on the implementation of competency based assessments). The competency assessment will be testing generic managerial competencies using the mandated DPSA SMS Competency Assessment tools.