ACKERMANS KUILSRIVER: SOURCING MANAGER
Closing Date: 28 February 2016
Job Title: Sourcing Manager
Department: Merchandise – Buying
Reporting To Position: Director
Job Type Classification: Permanent
Number of Positions: 1
Location: Kuils River
This exciting and challenging opportunity has become available within our Buying Management team.
We are looking for a resilient, efficient and confident individual with a compelling merchant mentality and a passion for Sourcing to execute the Company’s Supplier Strategy by continuously sourcing new merchandise suppliers both internationally and locally in order to expand the Company’s supply base and maximize profits, enabling quick response.
• A Grade 12 Certificate/Matric
• A relevant degree /qualification in Fashion, Textile Design /Clothing Production/ Product Development /Merchandising, or a related field
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
• Sourcing experience of which at least 3 years is at a senior level within a clothing/footwear/homeware retail environment
• Previous senior managerial experience to understand the inner workings of sourcing to meet the product strategy
• Integral understanding of the Clothing Retail Cycle & Buying process
• Experience in developing strategy and implementing strategic interventions in a rapidly changing global and local context
• Minimum 5 years in a Clothing Manufacturing environment and/or Merchandising experience
• Previous experience in a design manufacturing environment
• Knowledge of the retail merchandise cycle, critical path with regards to Sourcing/Buying, Planning, Logistics and Stores
• Knowledge of specific company buying strategies
• Understanding of retail business systems and related processes – IT
• A comprehensive knowledge/understanding of SA’s retail clothing market, customers and competitors
• A sound knowledge & understanding of relevant fabrics (clothing/materials/substrates)
• A sound knowledge of product components (styling, silhouettes, etc.)
• A sound knowledge and understanding of product construction
• A sound knowledge of costing, processes & calculations
• Shipping & related logistical factors and the impact thereof on lead times
• Manufacturing capabilities, including but not limited to:
o Import tariffs & relevant legislation
o Wages & costs of manufacturing
o Duty structures
• Latest Microsoft applications including advanced Excel competency
• A sound grasp of figures
• Good judgment together with strong problem-solving and decision-making abilities
• Excellent negotiating skills
• A flair/eye for product
• Exceptional planning, organising & time management skills
• Conflict management skills
• High-level presentation skills
• The ability to create a shared vision and to positively influence others
• Networking skills & the ability to be resourceful
• The ability to:
o Influence across various levels and functions within the business
o Communicate effectively at all levels both within, as well as outside the company
o Be resilient, have tenacity and maintain high levels of drive and initiative under pressure
o Be assertive
o Work independently, as well as be a team player
o Influence correct procedures for garment re-engineering
o Create vision & positively influence others
• To effectively source relevant product ensuring margin gain and profitability.
• To develop, influence and drive the Company’s Sourcing Strategy to align with the respective SBUs product and purchasing strategies through ensuring economy of scale.
• To ensure that the correct or suitable suppliers (both local and international) are sourced, selected, on-boarded and developed for each SBU in accordance with the Company’s Supplier Strategy in order to deliver sustainable growth at competitive prices in support of being the Number 1 Value Retailer in South Africa.
• To support the Pepkor Group Sourcing strategy and act as the Ackermans representative in Group Sourcing projects/interventions.
• To determine and manage the merchandise sourcing process to ensure on-time delivery as per the agreed Company critical path dates.
• To establish and maintain/develop a Quick Response capability within the organization – including a Fabric Sourcing strategy.
• Developing and influencing cross-functional partnerships with all specified key relationships.
• To develop and empower the Sourcing team by implementing sound people management practices, employee relations and a climate and culture of high performance.